Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Bastian's Storm (Surviving Raine #2) by Shay Savage

Bastian's Storm (Surviving Raine, #2)
I really enjoyed the first book in this series, Surviving Raine.  Mostly, because for me, it was a story line I haven't read before, and it totally had me wondering what would happen next.  Also, of course there was Bastian, all broody and dangerous - the perfect bad boy to love.  After the end of the first book, I was surprised that there was going to be a second book to the series, because I honestly thought that the story could have ended after just one book.  Wrong again! - Bastian's Storm was necessary and I'm so glad Shay Savage finished up Raine and Bastian's story as perfectly as she did.

Want to know what the story was about?


That's the best quote I can use to sum up the story without giving too much away.

This story is about their struggle, trying to start living life again within society.  It seems more of a struggle for Bastian as he feels undeserving of Raine, not sure what to do with his time, fighting his battle of the bottle, and just wanting to take Raine and go back to the island to live in solitude, just the two of them.  Then there's also his past, that comes back to haunt him.  He must make some difficult choices and decisions if he's really going to give Raine the life he thinks she deserves.


I loved, loved this book.  The romance is there and the suspense is there but they're both gritty and tough, never exactly what I would expect.  You get to see a new side to Bastian that will totally have you falling in love with him all over again.  Plus, the addition of Evan Arden was perfect - just enough of him to make you want more of him in another book.

After reading seven of Ms. Savage's books, I think I've finally figured out one of the main reasons why I truly love her writing style.  Don't laugh at me that it took me so long.  I admit when I get into a book, I usually immerse myself into the story, I don't think of editing or POV's.  But thinking of my review for Bastian's Storm - it finally hit me that all her books are from the male's POV.  Most books aren't like this, you're usually getting the females POV or they go back and forth.  Not Ms. Savage, she does the whole book from the man's point of view - and after reading 7 of her books, and loving them all I hope she doesn't ever change her writing style.  I cannot wait to see what she has in store for us with her next book!




No comments:

Post a Comment